Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spotlight: Tamar Mogendorff



Hello!!! I'm back!!!  I know you're all as excited as I am, and I have to say first and foremost that I am sorry to have been gone for so long!  I have been such a slacker blog-wise, but only because I have been such a workaholic otherwise.  I am happy to report that I am enjoying my new job at Whole Foods very much, and am feeling pretty settled in at this point.

On another blog post related note, for the second (or third?) time now I am going to alter my posting schedule.  In the beginning, I was so psyched and energized about this blog, and had very lofty goals and ambitions for it.  I set my sights very high in terms of what I would be able to do, mainly the amount of time I would be able to devote to posting.  While I am still very psyched and energized about blogging here on The Art Caravan, and very devoted to bringing you all awesome art and art history posts, I am forced to admit that even my scaled-back goal of one post a day every weekday has become very difficult, given that I am working 7+ hour days 6-7 days a week.  I do not want writing this blog to become a burden, a source of stress, or an obligation for me- and that is what will happen if I keep trying to meet overly ambitious goals!  It is no fun to have to scale back- it is always better to start with modest posting goals and then increase the amount you post over time.  However, my schedule has worked in the opposite direction- I have gone from having too much free time to too little!

Soooo....my point is that from now on I will have no posting goal.  I will post when I can, whenever I can, and will always post enthusiastic and exciting posts that will make you forget I am not posting more!  However, that being said, I will always make an effort to post as much as I possibly can. :)



Now, moving on...to artist Tamar Mogendorff!  I "discovered" Tamar's work on artist Lena Corwin's blog.  It is so precious!  Everything she does is like a magical little dream, sweet and childlike but also mature and intricate.  Her wondrous creations make me smile.  On her website, this quote is posted from Milk Book (Hors-serie Deco | October 2008):
"Using thousand and thousand of fabrics and threads to create her ideas in her Brooklyn workshop, Tamar Mogendorff's world is populated with swans, bears and mushrooms carefully made by her fairy fingers.  The originality of her creations is in the choice and assembly of the fabrics from gaudy to the precious, the subtle or solid."






I just can't get over how lovely and special all her pieces are.  They are like little treasures, worthy of being coveted and held on to.  Some artists just speak to you, just make you so happy (and sort of jealous at the same time- I would love to make work like Tamar's!), and I like her work more than many other artists' work that I've seen lately.  She makes me feel inspired to learn to sew, and do cool things with fabric.



You can check out Tamar's work on her website, www.tmogy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment