Monday, September 28, 2009

Spotlight: Robert and Shana Parkeharrison


Today's Spotlight is on my favorite husband-and-wife photography duo, Robert and Shana Parkeharrison.  I have been absolutely entranced with their photographs since high school, when I was studying photography, and I continue to be entranced to this day.  Their other-worldly, mysterious, aged-looking photographs are stunning.  They came to speak at MICA while I was there (sadly, I cannot remember or find out exactly when they came and I cannot find my notes from the lecture....irresponsible sounding, isn't it?), and I was SO EXCITED to hear them speak.  Their photographs are elaborate, requiring extensive props and effects.  Robert poses in most of them, as the lone figure in a post-apocalyptic looking world, where he always appear to be attempting to reinvent the wheel, or reinvent flying, or just invent anything.

They are ghostly, romantic, sad, and beautiful.  I learned along the way that they were ecologically driven, aimed at issues of global warming and other environmental problems that we face, but have to say that I was perfectly happy with them before I knew anything about them.  I almost prefer to contemplate what they might mean, all the unspoken, poetic thoughts and feelings that seem to surround them, than to pigeonhole them as "environmental" works.  They are that and so much more.  To check out Robert and Shanna Parkeharrison's new works and locate galleries and museums you can find their work in, go to www.parkeharrison.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment