Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Spotlight: Molly Colleen O'Connell


Hello! I have been a little under the weather (flu shot side effects?), and am in the process of trying to get a job at the Mt. Washington Whole Foods.  Busy, busy, busy!  So today I bring you a Spotlight on the work of Molly Colleen O'Connell, whose work I own in my personal collection.  Molly is one of my favorite artists.  She graduated a year ahead of me from MICA with a Printmaking degree, and is a member of the comic book collective Closed Caption Comics.  She also is one of the organizers of the new art gallery and music venue Open Space in Remington.

I am a fan of her print work as well as her comic books, which she prints and binds herself.  Molly draws and prints images of intricate other worlds that she creates.  In these worlds, she tells the stories of the creatures that inhabit them, and the various things they do and adventures they go on.  Sometimes the narrative is strong and easy to follow, and other times the story is hard to follow but the pictures are all you need anyway.  Her creatures and her line-heavy, incredibly creative drawings are enchanting and unreal.  I particularly love (and hope to purchase one day) a print of a little girl milking (?) a huge moose (?).  Sometimes it's hard to tell what's actually happening, but that's what I enjoy about Molly's work: She is asking your to use your imagination, to enter her amazingly imaginative world, and see where it takes you.



No comments:

Post a Comment